Supportersvereniging PSV
A real fan joins!
Home > News > PSV grab maximum points against Willem II in Tilburg. (

PSV grab maximum points against Willem II in Tilburg. (

16 feb 2008 - Source:

This newsitem has been supplied by

PSV maintained their nine-point lead at the Eredivisie summit as they enjoyed a narrow 1-0 win against Willem II in Tilburg on Saturday night. The defending champions keep pole position, but were made to work hard for their victory. The traveling fans had to wait until the 84th minute to see their side grab maximum points. Captain Timmy Simons put his team ahead from the spot to secure three points against sixteenth placed Willem II. The visitors dominated proceedings in Tilburg, but struggled to create clear-cut scoring opportunities.

PSV made a major step towards a possible championship. Sef Vergoossen's team did not put in a particularly sparkling display, but kept their composure and struck six minutes from time when Simons coolly converted a spot kick. Willem II created a number of chances and battled hard, but were left empty-handed.
PSV interim head coach Sef Vergoossen had made a few changes to the team that beat Helsingborgs IF 2-0 on Wednesday. Farfán returned to the starting line-up; Zonneveld was played at left back and Alcides deputised as right back for Kromkamp who was ruled out due to a knee injury. PSV started a number of flowing moves, but Willem II had the best chance to open the scoring in the initial stages, when Mourad sent an effort just wide. PSV had three opportunities to break the deadlock. Bakkal had a dangerous shot blocked, while Lazovic fired low across the face of goal and Dzsudzsák unleashed a powerful shot on target. Willem II played a compact defence and did not concede any space at the back, while PSV patiently played their passing game.

Willem II started the second half brightly and Poepon brought out a super save from in-form goalkeeper Gomes. Méndez was brought on for Lazovic after 63 minutes and six minutes later Rajkovic left the bench to replace Zonneveld. The hosts came closest to scoring when Swinkels headed wide. Koevermans came on seventeen minutes from time and PSV moved men forward. They were rewarded for their attacking policy six minutes from time. Afellay rounded goalkeeper Aerts, who tripped the midfielder and referee Jol immediately pointed to the spot and captain Timmy Simons coolly converted the resulting penalty; 0-1. PSV bagged all three points and have taken a major step towards lifting the Eredivisie title again.