Supportersvereniging PSV
A real fan joins!
Home > News > Mighty Liverpool see off PSV 3-1 (

Mighty Liverpool see off PSV 3-1 (

2 okt 2008 - Source:

This newsitem has been supplied by

A double header against Olympique Marseille will decide whether PSV will qualify for UEFA Cup football. On Wednesday night, Huub Stevens' team suffered a 3-1 defeat at Anfield against mighty Liverpool who had the game virtually wrapped up after four minutes' play. Atlético Madrid beat Olympique Marseille 2-1 in Madrid in the other Group D fixture on Matchday 2.
Match day three and four
Over 41000 home fans had hardly finished singing You'll never walk alone at Anfield when the hosts had the game virtually wrapped up. Dirk Kuyt opened the scoring after four minutes and half an hour later Robbie Keane superbly doubled Liverpool's lead. PSV worked hard and attempted to reduce the deficit, but the Reds reigned supreme at Anfield. PSV opted for a defensive strategy, but could not prevent the English side from converting their dominance into goals. Following Marseille's defeat in Madrid, Liverpool and Atlético Madrid have maximum points from their opening two Group D matches, whereas PSV and Olympique, who also lost their opening game at home to Liverpool, have no points. PSV will be looking forward to the double-header against Olympique on Matchday 3 (in Eindhoven) and four (in Marseille), which will decide which team will ensure qualification to the UEFA Cup tournament.
Kuyt and Keane goals
PSV played Amrabat as lone striker up front with Bakkal providing support. They lined up five defenders, playing Kromkamp and Bréchet at right and left back respectively, with Salcido partnering Simons and Marcellis in the centre of defence, shielded by anchoring midfielders Méndez and Culina. Wuytens made his Champions League debut. Huub Stevens' game plan was destroyed when Liverpool took the lead after only four minutes' play on a wet and cold Merseyside night. The hosts won a corner and PSV keeper Isaksson managed to save Torres' volley with his left foot. The rebound fell to Kuyt, who drove Liverpool ahead through a crowded area; 1-0. It was a disastrous start for PSV who had come to Anfield to try and keep a clean sheet, hoping to threaten on the counter attack. PSV pulled themselves together and Amrabat started a flowing move. The striker also got in the first effort on target for PSV. The visitors continued to work hard, but conceded a second goal after 34 minutes. Torres delivered a cross that Keane, who had evaded his marker, superbly despatched past Isaksson; 2-0.
Koevermans scores consolation
Erik Pieters replaced Bréchet in the second half, when PSV tried to fight themselves back into the game, but Liverpool were still more than comfortable, closing down PSV players, putting together well-worked moves and looking for a third goal. Danny Koevermans came on for Wuytens on the hour mark and Amrabat unleashed a shot, but Rafael BenĂ­tez's men were in cruise control. Fifteen minutes from time, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard fired in a free-kick for his 100th Liverpool goal; 3-0. Although the game was effectively over, PSV had the final word. Dzsudzsák, who had just been brought on for Méndez, set up Koevermans and the striker beat keeper Reina to score a consolation goal, PSV's first goal of the campaign: 3-1. PSV will fly back home empty-handed on Thursday and start preparing for Saturday's game against De Graafschap at the Philips Stadium.