Supportersvereniging PSV
A real fan joins!
Home > News > PSV and FC Twente played out a goalless draw (

PSV and FC Twente played out a goalless draw (

27 dec 2008 - Source:

This newsitem has been supplied by

PSV and FC Twente played out a goalless draw at the Philips Stadium in their last match in 2008. Huub Stevens' team came close to scoring twice in the first half, but failed to create any meaningful chances after the break. PSV could not close the gap with FC Twente who were the better team in the second half.
PSV came close to scoring twice
PSV were unchanged for the visit of FC Twente, as Huub Stevens kept faith with the same starting eleven that defeated Feyenoord on Sunday. Carlos Salcido was also ruled out of tonight's match. FC Twente coach McClaren handed starts to the former PSV players Kenneth Perez and Robbie Wielaert. It was the home side who created the first chance. Amrabat had an effort at goal after seven minutes and FC Twente keeper Boschker was forced to stretch at full-length to palm the ball away. Ten minutes later PSV came really close to scoring when Bréchet's powerful header from a corner was pushed away by Boschker and rebounded off the inside of the post. At the other end, Marko Arnautovic went close for the visitors and PSV were lucky the Austrian striker only rattled the post. FC Twente were keen to keep possession and play a low-tempo game, but PSV took the initiative and were the better team in the first half. Referee Vink was lenient during the encounter that was fiery at times. Ten minutes before the break, the Philips Stadium erupted when PSV came close to scoring again. Dzsudzsák struck a free kick that hit the underside of the bar and the ball touched the ground but did not completely cross the line.
PSV lacked ideas
FC Twente dominated proceedings after the break. They put pressure on the defence of the hosts, while PSV failed to create any meaningful chances. Amrabat had the first shot at goal only fifteen minutes into the second half. FC Twente enjoyed the bulk of possession and won most balls in midfield, while PSV lacked the ideas to open up the compact FC Twente backline. The home side introduced Danny Koevermans for the hard-working Danko Lazovic with seventeen minutes left. PSV were held to a goalless draw by FC Twente, a carbon copy result of last season's corresponding encounter in April, when PSV hoped to clinch the title. Jérémie Bréchet produced an excellent defensive display on Saturday. Just like captain Timmy Simons, the Frenchman worked hard, and was outstanding at centre back, neutralising the threat posed by FC Twente striker Blaise N'Kufo. Stevens' team will now enjoy a holiday before they resume training on Monday January 5, 2009.